[Marilyn forwards this cogent explanation of issues some of us have with
aging. Totally unrelated to how well you did on yesterday’s food quiz.]
Brains of older people are slow because they know so much.
People do not decline mentally with age, it just takes them longer to recall
facts because they have more information in their brains, scientists
believe. Much like a computer struggles as the hard drive gets full up, so
too do humans take longer to access information, it has been suggested.
Researchers say this slowing down is not the same as cognitive decline. The
human brain works slower in old age, said Dr. Michael Ramscar, but only
because we have stored more information over time The brains of older people
do not get weak. On the contrary, they simply know more.
Also, older people often go to another room to get something and when they
get there, they stand there wondering what they came for. This is NOT a
memory problem; it is nature’s way of making older people do more exercise.
~~ANSWERS TO YESTERDAY’S “FOOD FOR THOUGHT” QUIZ
1. What condiment is most commonly used on French Fries in Japan?
2. What did American GI’s in World War II call the “ham that failed a
3. What is a Bolshoi Mak in Russia? HAMBURGER (BIG MAC)
4. What is the largest fruit crop in the world? GRAPES
5. What cereal was originally called “Elijah’s Manna”? POST TOASTIES
6. Cartoon character “voice” Mel Blanc was allergic to what food? CARROTS
(he was the voice of Bugs Bunny)
7. What product was advertised with the catch-phrase, “I can’t believe I ate
the whole thing”? ALKA-SELTZER
8. What product was originally marketed as “Little Short-Cake Fingers”?
9. In 1884, “Dr Miles Compound Extract of Tomato” medicine claimed to cure
many ailments. Where can you find it today? ON U.S. FRENCH FRIES (KETCHUP)
10. What is the fastest fish in the ocean? SAILFISH (68 mph, faster than
even the Mako Shark)
Bonus: Whose last meal consisted of 4 scoops of ice cream with 6
chocolate-chip cookies? ELVIS PRESLEY
Dr Bob Griffin
“Jesus Knows Me, This I Love!”