The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop
and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra’s “Its A Wonderful Life”
A dragonfly has a lifespan of 24 hours.
When the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers play football at home, the
stadium becomes the state’s third largest city.
A goldfish has a memory span of three seconds.
A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
On an American one-dollar bill, there is an owl in the upper left-hand
corner of the “1” encased in the “shield” and a spider hidden in the front
upper right-hand corner.
It is impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
The giant squid has the largest eyes in the world.
In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.
The name for Oz in the “Wizard of Oz” was thought up when the creator, Frank
Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence “Oz.”
The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a
chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
John Lennon’s first girlfriend was named Thelma Pickles.
The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.
ANSWERS TO Midweek Quiz on Famous Mouthfuls
1. FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT = “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself”
2. DOUGLAS MACARTHUR = “I shall return”
3. DALE CARNEGIE = “How to win friends and influence people”
4. THEODORE ROOSEVELT = “Speak softly, and carry a big stick”
5. WILL ROGERS = “I never met a man I didn’t like”
6. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR = “I have been to the mountain”
7. WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE = “The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose”
8. RENE DESCARTES = “I think, therefore I am”
9. PATRICK HENRY = “Give me liberty or give me death”
10. ELIZABETH BARRET BROWNING = “How do I love thee? Let me count the ways”
11. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN = “Little strokes fell great oaks”
12. WINSTON CHURCHILL = “I have nothing to offer but blood, sweat and tears”
13. JOYCE KILMER = “I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a
14. ROBERT FROST = “I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep”
15. ALEXANDER GRAHAM BELL = “Mr Watson, come here, I want you”
Bonus: KARL MARX = “From each according to his abilities, to each according
to his needs”
Dr Bob Griffin
“Jesus Knows Me, This I Love!”